Readers like you help support Drone Sumo. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more.
The Guinness World Record for the World’s Fastest Drone is held by the Drone Racing League (DRL) with a specially engineered drone called the DRL RacerX.
The fastest speed recorded by drone was set back in mid-2017 and has not been matched since, with the RacerX achieving an impressive speed of 165.2mph / 265.87kmph on a 100-meter course, although it reached velocities of 179.78mph / 289.33kmph over longer distances.
The record-setting RacerX weighed 800 grams (1.76 pounds), produced 46’000 RPM and won the category of “fastest ground speed by a battery-powered remote-controlled quadcopter.” Earlier prototypes of the RacerX burst into flames when reaching high speeds.
“The record-setting RacerX represents the culmination of years of technological innovation by our team of world-class engineers, and we’re very excited to unveil the fastest racing drone on earth.”– Nicholas Horbaczewski – Founder and CEO of Drone Racing League
Some facts and stats about the DRL RacerX
- Aside from the specially engineered power system, the rest of the parts in the build are typical for a racing drone.
- The DRL team needed to fly the drone back and forth across a 100m (328ft.) course, with the average measured top speed – 165.2mph – being used for the official record.
- The record was set on a field in New York with an official GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ adjudicator on-site to verify the attempt.
- Earlier prototypes of the RacerX burst into flames when reaching its peak acceleration due to a large amount of power.
- Due to the high speeds, the camera tilt on the record-setting RacerX needed to be set at 80º.
- The DRL RacerX can reach top speeds of up to 179.6 miles per hour.
- The official record title set by DRL is Fastest ground speed by a battery-powered remote-controlled quadcopter.
- The drone was hand-built by DRL’s Director of Product, Ryan Gury, and a team of engineers.
- 46,000 RPMs
- 10S (42V) Powertrain
- BeeRotor 80A (10S) ESCs / BLHeli with Multishot
- TMotor F80 2407 2500kv
- 1300mah 2 x 5S R-Line Tattu Lithium Polymer Batteries
Images and video by The Drone Racing League